The trip started off normal enough, although I can tell you that with my background in anxiety, it is not fun riding pregnant on a commuter plane into Mexico. Big shout out to the stewardess who thought it necessary to mention as we are landing "Let's see how this goes; the captain's first time flying into Mazatlan!" I appreciate your confidence, jackass.
I found my destination easily enough. It is still saddening to see the living conditions there, but ironically the people are entirely happy with a small town attitude in the state's capital. Sinoloa is full of fun people, mostly local workers who cater to tourists, and Canadian retirees.
Our place was right on the ocean. It was beautiful with the exception of the gawking construction men and the jackhammer tearing up the side of the wall next to our resort. If they weren't tearing up the wall, they were playing mariachi music so loud I could not be left to my thoughts. That's where sitting in the infinity pool with Incubus on my headphones made my vacation....the words "I wish you were here" and how only two of the people I wished to be there were actually present. But they are fantastic company! Chris and Jamie are more like family to me than friends, so the trip was so comfortable and relaxing, of course with some interspersed fun!
We met another American family, Jake and Carrie, who just had a baby boy Drew. Drew was the smiliest little boy I've met; it kind of makes me hope peanut is a boy! Dr. Jake (who is a construction worker and likes to smoke a lot of weed) also diagnosed the cause of my precious little one: antibiotics. Guess I missed the part of the lecture from my dermatoligist that discussed how antiobiotics interfere with birth control.
(By the way, as you continue reading be advised that for some reason myspace will not allow me to stop typing in italics and return to normal font).
As far as the experiences there, we had a blast. We went out one night (and I realized that I just plain have fun and possibly come off as crazy with or without alcohol) to a series of places. Gus y Gus featured a random group of American's partying like it's 1999 and dancing to late 80s hip hop in front of a video screen. The one girl particularly kept dancing as though at any minute she could, in Freudian fashion, break into the sorority girl in front of her family. Quite amusing if I don't say so myself. The cover band that proceeded to play there liked Santana. Jake got suckered into buying the girls roses from a sweet little Mexican girl whose parents were obviously two tables down subcontracting her for sympathy points. We mosied by pulmonia (open air cab) down to Bora Bora where the driver failed to mention that the place he was taking us to was closed for the evening. Why did we tip him anyway? Jake wasn't too happy, but we passed a giant frog and he proceeded to get friendly taking pictures with it. That passed the time. Next it was off to Tony's where a cover band that consisted of what looked like an Indian (I dubbed him "Plays with strings"), two busboys fresh off their shifts, a butch-like female with a rather masculine voice, and one stoner who couldn't wipe the smile off his face if you slapped it off. They were cute. Joan Jett came on, and I stopped stereotyping and contemplated dancing. I did not. Finally last but not least, we ventured over to a place called Jungle Juice. We were walking and we heard the Eagles and figured it sounded fun. Jake and Carrie learned that Mexican "two for one" specials basically mean you are buying an overpriced soda unless you get beer. The band playing was fantastic...Ozzie, the Eagles,Lynard; tons of covers and all played by two guys about my age, one resident drummer, and a Spanish speaking lead singer. The kicker about the lead singer is that he was balding yet still sporting a blonde, permed mullet, dressed in leather attire, and most certainly donned a wind-machine as part of the band's stage effects. He was quite animated, and even had a scarf tied around the mic stand that fluttered in "wind".
Ahh...vacation! Somewhere in Mazatlan there's a table that reads Macie was here. Oh, and peanut too!
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment