Thursday, May 14, 2009

Customer Service- (service)= Angry customer

If you take the service out of customer service, all you are left with is the customer, who is undoubtedly angry. Of course, I did not just pick a topic out of my hat and decide to blog about it....I had a negative experience today that nearly boiled my blood to a temperature not previously reached since my married days.

As a client serving professional who had worked as a bartender/server for nearly 10 years, no matter how much I loathed a person's attitude I was forced to serve them with a smile to make the customer happy. There were days this made me want to vomit. Once, when I was experiencing a rather troublesome day in my divorce, a man who walked into the bar where I was working (a Red Lobster that closed at 10 PM) at 9:30, I was less than thrilled. But I tried my best to stifle the tears and hedge my pissed off attitude. Usually, this is best accomplished using the avoidance method and since it was late I focused on cleaning. The man orders steak and lobster no less, and of course at 10:25 orders dessert. The ice cream for the dessert he ordered was mush, and at this point we were running low on all of our desserts. When I came out to explain to him what had happened, he began bitching that I gave him shitty service, was rude, and only told him we were out of ice cream because I wanted him to leave. Oh, and that he could've received better service at Jack-in the Box. (I disagree, and I'll tell you why in a few minutes). Instead of calling the manager as I normally would have (and since I didn't spit in his food and we really WERE out of ice cream), I told him the truth: "Sir, I apologize, however, I have had a horrible personal day. My husband and I are splitting up, and he stole $600 from me today. I was avoiding talking to you and probably came off rude because I was so afraid I might cry at one wrong word mentioned. We truly are out of ice cream as it is a bit after we close and deliveries are not until tomorrow. What little of the ice cream is left is disgusting and I was attempting to be good at my job and forewarn you. I'd also appreciate it if when you dine out alone, you could have some consideration for the people working here. Simply because you are here to dine does not entitle you to conversation, only service with a smile which I believe I gave you. I do this job 5 days a week, and some days are just rough personally. Unlike others with jobs less personal, I cannot avoid talking to people when I am upset." He apologized profusely and tipped me 50% on his total tab. He also decided to go somewhere else for dessert.

I was proud of my "stand-up" attitude, but should have argued stronger on the service at Jack-in-the-Crack. My worst experience ever occurred at the Point Loma JITB. (This may appear a bit overdramatic). It was a simple drive through transaction: I ordered a meal with curly fries instead of regular. They cost extra. I worked down the street, and since I was aware they cost extra, if the "superstar" behind the counter with the 8th grade education doesn't mention that to me, I don't think anything of it. When I receive my order, I always double check to be sure it's all there (for obvious reasons). Upon the realization that I had received plain fries, I explained to her that I ordered curly fries, asked if she could exchange them and noted that I would pay for them. She promptly told me "No."

"Pardon me?"

"We have other people waiting and you didn't order them."

To which I replied: "If you didn't hear me order them that is not my fault, however, I did in fact, order curly fries."

She refuses. I walk inside and asked to speak with the manager. The manager and the fat-ass that refused to trade out my curly fries start blabbing in Spanish, and the manager throws the curly fries in a bag, and then at me. Keep in mind, I do not expect even so much as three star service from a fast-food chain, nor do I expect a smile, but I would at least friggin hope for the food I ordered. This incident bothered me mainly because chances are the tub of lard that refused to serve me probably swam her 300 pound ass over here from Mexico and is working illegally while refusing to serve me what I ordered. All I could think was what happened to customer service? I did not call the number to report bad service and pray for a $5 gift card, I simply figured that if misery is what some choose, so be it. It pisses me off, however, that the same bitch would likely walk into the Red Lobster down the street where I worked at 9:55 (when we close at 10), order the all-you-can-eat shrimp and then stiff the server.

That is my background in negative customer service. It happens, and I moved on. Until today: The Boxing Club where I worked out pre-Denver move, (and by work out I mean attended maybe 6 times) cancelled the cancellation of my membership. I know, it sounds backward. Apparently when a company fraudulently charges a card I did not authorize them to charge therefore making my payment late, they reserve that right.

When I cancelled my membership, I asked them to send me a bill b/c I didn't want my corporate work card being charged for the membership anymore. I figured I'd throw them some money here and there or pay off the balance of my membership in one lump sum. Instead, they charged my card after I cancelled my membership plus late fee, three times. When I inquired as to why they did this, the friendly customer service rep explained (with a smile), that a cancellation can be cancelled if payment does not go through.

Fuck them. So, I called AmEx today and put all the past few charges (which I had figured I would pay, until they raped me for two more months of membership at $69/month) under "fraudulent" and cut off future payment privileges to that company via AmEx. Since when did businesses decide to ass-fuck people because they think they can get away with it? If I tell you to stop charging my card, you STOP fucking charging my card! You don't continue to charge my card with late fees, and then decide to cancel the cancellation of my membership. (I know I said I was working on cutting "fuck" out of my vocabulary, but sometimes people fall off the wagon). FUCK YOU BOXING CLUB, and your snide FUCKING douchebag customer service reps with their ugly-ass faces and TINY FUCKING Asian penises for which they join your STUPID FUCKING GAY ASS club in a lame attempt to overcompensate.

There, that feels good; I think it's out of my system.

No comments: